If you are new to this, you might be confused about how to clean a fish tank properly. In fact, there are many little but devastating mistakes especially beginners can make when cleaning their aquarium. Luckily, you can prevent these mistakes by following these 7 simple steps:
1) First of all empty 20-30% of the water in your fish tank.
2) Now you can carefully take out your tropical fishes. You can either use a dip net or a small bucket, depending on the size of your aquarium, just make sure you won't hurt the fish along the process. Now put the fish in a smaller container where it can stay for the next time.
3) If you have a serious problem with algae or your remaining water is just generally dirty, use this opportunity to filtrate the water remaining in the fish tank using a filtration system, a water strainer or a precise dip net.
4) Take out the rocks and artificial plants. Scrub them with a brush or something similar before putting it back.
5) Clean the filtration system itself. If you decide to disassembly the machine, be sure you know how to put it together again! If your filtration system contains more then one filter, clean only one at a time - otherwise you will lose important biological bacteria cultures which are useful for your fish tank. Clean one filter now and the second one a few weeks later.
6) Put everything together again. Check every piece of equipment - are heater, filtration system and light working perfectly? If not, use this chance to fix them. Even a short time without proper temperature, filtration or light can harm your fish to the point of no return!
7) After putting back rocks and artificial plants, fill up the fish tank with fresh water - and don't forget to put back your fish, too!
These easy steps will help you to get the idea, but every tropical fish species and aquarium needs special care and the requirements may differ. While the procedure will lead to a clean fish tank in one case, in another one it might endanger your tropical fish because they might need to be handled in some special way!
Learn special techniques and tips from a real professional. Check out my review of a complete guide to fish tank and fish care on my blog. Here's the link: http://best-tropical-fish-guide.blogspot.com/
This article may be freely reprinted or distributed in its entirety in any Ezine, newsletter, blog, or website. The author's name, bio and website links must remain intact and be included with every reproduction.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jacob_Graham